Manor Primary is fortunate to work in partnership with Juniper Ventures in order to provide freshly prepared and nutritionally balanced meals on a daily basis.
We offer a choice of main courses (including meat, fish & vegetarian options, all meat served is halal) and an exciting choice of vegetables and salads.
Menus are shared with parents via SchoolPing. We are currently asking parents to select meals with their child ahead of time to avoid food wastage.
Our current interim menu can be found here: Autumn 1 Menus
All children in Reception and Key Stage 1 (Years 1 and 2) are entitled to Universal Free School Meals. Currently, all other pupils in Key Stage 2 are funded by Newham Council.
Free School Meals are also available to children whose parents receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Child Tax Credit or the Asylum Seekers Allowance and we would urge all parents to complete an application irrespective of eligibility as this information is checked throughout your child’s time in primary school and could lead to increased funding for the school through Pupil Premium.
Applications can be made here via the Newham Website.
If you decide to send your child in with a packed lunch, please ensure he or she has a healthy and balanced meal.
Packed lunches should not contain glass bottles, cans of fizzy drink or sweets. We also ask that foods containing nuts are not brought in to school in order to safeguard children with serious nut allergies. Packed lunches should be brought in a suitable lunchbox clearly marked with your child’s name.
Some ideas of what to put in a packed lunch:
- Sandwiches or wraps filled with tuna, cheese, chicken, egg with lettuce, tomato or slices of cucumber
- Sticks of raw carrot, celery, peppers or other raw vegetables
- Small tomatoes or other salad items
- Cheese cubes
- Yogurt (with a spoon)
- Mini salads made from leftover pasta or rice
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Small cake or bun
- Fruit smoothies or puree
We suggest that a child always has a sandwich or something equivalent plus two or three other items.
PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILD CRISPS, SWEETS OR FIZZY DRINKS AND PLEASE DO NOT PUT DRINKS IN GLASS BOTTLES.
Tips on Making Sure Your Lunches Get Eaten:
- Don’t give your child more than he or she can eat.
- Let your child get involved in packing their lunch box.
- Present food in a novel way by cutting sandwiches or chunks of cheese into different shapes.
- In hot weather, keep the contents of your child’s lunchbox cool by including a pouch of yogurt or fruit puree or a carton of juice that has been frozen overnight. By lunchtime the item will have defrosted.
- Children like to re-fuel quickly so that they can have the maximum amount of time in the playground to play with their friends. Make sure that all items are easy to open and eat.
All our under 5s are entitled to free milk which is organised by the EYFS staff. All EYFS and KS1 classes include a snack of washed fruit to all children. We are taking part in the Government initiative, the Free Fruit Scheme to provide all infants with free fruit and vegetables during the day.
KS2 children are encouraged to bring fruit which they can eat at playtime.